Grants will support Milwaukee Public Museum, Discovery World, Betty Brinn Children's Museum and more
MILWAUKEE, May 23, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, leading financial services company Northwestern Mutual announced nearly $3 million in grants to increase community access to Milwaukee's leading cultural destinations and attractions. The investment is being made through the company's Foundation, and will be used to provide residents and visitors equal and affordable access to the city's top attractions by meeting spatial, social and economic dimensions of inclusion.
"Milwaukee is home to many iconic destinations and attractions that make our city a cultural hub for residents and visitors," said Steve Radke, president of the Northwestern Mutual Foundation. "We have a longstanding commitment to the city of Milwaukee and its people, and we're proud to partner with many great local organizations that share our vision in ensuring equal access to these experiences."
2023 grant recipients include:
- Betty Brinn Children's Museum: Northwestern Mutual's grant will support the museum's Community Access Days program, which will expand upon what was previously known as Northwestern Mutual Neighborhood Nights. The Community Access Days will provide free, extended admission to all children and families.
- Discovery World: The company's donation will help to support education outreach and in-person field trips for more than 2,000 Milwaukee students. Students will make field trips to Discovery World and be connected with Discovery World staff who will introduce STEM-related projects to their school's education curriculum.
- Marcus Center for the Performing Arts: Northwestern Mutual's contribution will help develop and engage audiences at the Marcus Center. The donation will support several aspects of their outreach programs, including Opening Our Doors and Neighborhood Nights. In addition to complimentary tickets, the program gives students and other Milwaukee residents access to open rehearsals, master classes, workshops and post-show Q&A sessions with the performers.
- Summerfest: In conjunction with the company's investment in the Northwestern Mutual Community Park, grants will support both the Make a Child smile promotion and the free Sunday Family Fun Day events.
- United Performing Arts Fund (UPAF): As the largest corporate donor to UPAF, Northwestern Mutual's corporate grant and funds raised through the 2023 employee and retiree campaign will help to support local performing art groups and increase access to essential platforms for expression and understanding.
- Zoological Society of Milwaukee: Access MKE Zoo will build on a pilot program that was supported by Northwestern Mutual in 2022. This year, Northwestern Mutual's support will provide zoo access to over 28,000 children and families in Milwaukee and their other pipeline partners.
"Providing families opportunities to engage and connect with the community is key to our success," said Jodi Gibson, president and CEO of the Zoological Society. "We are grateful for Northwestern Mutual's support and commitment to Milwaukee and look forward to reaching more guests."
The Foundation is also supporting the Milwaukee Public Museum's "Wisconsin Wonders" capital campaign. Northwestern Mutual's investment will support construction of the new museum in downtown Milwaukee, which is inspired by Wisconsin's diverse cultures and ecosystems. The new museum, which will be the largest cultural project in Wisconsin history, aims to connect the community and create a multi-generational impact.
About The Northwestern Mutual Foundation
The mission of the Northwestern Mutual Foundation is to improve the lives of children and families in need. The Foundation has given more than $465 million since its inception in 1992 and is designed to create lasting impact in the communities where the company's employees and financial representatives live and work. It accomplishes this by combining financial support, volunteerism, thought leadership and convening community partners to deliver the best outcomes. The Northwestern Mutual Foundation's efforts are focused nationally on curing childhood cancer, and locally on education, neighborhoods and making the company's hometown of Milwaukee a great destination. Visit Northwestern Mutual Foundation to learn more.
About Northwestern Mutual
Northwestern Mutual has been helping people and businesses achieve financial security for more than 165 years. Through a comprehensive planning approach, Northwestern Mutual combines the expertise of its financial professionals with a personalized digital experience and industry-leading products to help its clients plan for what's most important. With more than $558 billion of total assets being managed across the company's institutional portfolio as well as retail investment client portfolios, nearly $35 billion in revenues, and $2.2 trillion worth of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual delivers financial security to more than five million people with life, disability income and long-term care insurance, annuities, and brokerage and advisory services. Northwestern Mutual ranked 97 on the 2022 FORTUNE 500.
Northwestern Mutual is the marketing name for The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company (NM), Milwaukee, WI (life and disability insurance, annuities, and life insurance with long-term care benefits) and its subsidiaries. Subsidiaries include Northwestern Mutual Investment Services, LLC (NMIS) (investment brokerage services), broker-dealer, registered investment adviser, member FINRA and SIPC; the Northwestern Mutual Wealth Management Company® (NMWMC) (investment advisory and services), federal savings bank; and Northwestern Long Term Care Insurance Company (NLTC) (long-term care insurance). Not all Northwestern Mutual representatives are advisors. Only those representatives with "Advisor" in their title or who otherwise disclose their status as an advisor of NMWMC are credentialed as NMWMC representatives to provide investment advisory services.
SOURCE Northwestern Mutual